06 March 2020

Poor Economics

I finished Poor Economics a while ago. It's a good and well written book, but I feel rather ambivalent about it. It's good in that it

  • presents a balanced view point (like Evicted)
  • has good summaries at the end of each chapter but also a good conclusions chapter
  • conclusions contain relatively practical recommendations
Maybe I feel a bit jaded reading this? Or that I read too several books on the same topic in the near past? I was surprised (and feel bad) about my apathetic reaction. However I'm also glad I read it because the previous books has been an US centric pov whereas this one is from an international development pov. Reminds me of capstone, especially all the emphasis they placed on community consultation. I didn't really understand during the course, thinking that this is an engineering capstone why are we focusing so much energy on community consultation. But I'm appreciating it now. 

...

Also read Palaces for People a longer while ago and didn't think enough of it to make a separate post. It's also not bad, but its preaching to the choir for me. It did made me recognize how big of a role the public library played in my elementary to high school days. In fact, the day I recall as I've worked the hardest in a single day is when I was studying for my grade 12 with a bunch of friends at the basement level of the library. I think we all met up in the morning and stayed until dinner time. It's nice when something brings up a distant memory heh. 

No comments: