16 March 2020

skincare routine: 2020 winter retrospective

(previous update)

I've been very happy with my overall winter routine and also the new additions. In general, my skin didn't feel dry during the cold weather which I think is a first. I had several larger breakouts that led to scaring, but it's pretty inevitable so just gotta deal with it.

Changes to my routine includes:

  • Started to use The Ordinary's 10% mandelic acid + HA as my acid step. This may be tied with the Dr. Wu mandelic acid as my favourite? Both has the best texture compared to others I've used (Cosrx AHA and Mizon AHA). I do appreciate the HA addition as well, will repurchase for next winter if I don't make a Stratia haul.
  • Finished the Komeyu rice oil and switched to The Ordinary's argan oil, because I was stupid and thought I grabbed rosehip seed oil which is what I intended to buy. But honestly I don't see much difference between the different facial oils, so I'll just use this up and switch back to rosehip seed.
  • Started using Purito's green level buffet serum. Again I like this even though I don't see immediate or visible results, in fact I bought a second bottle despite this. The texture is easy to spread and it absorbs very fast. Maybe I should pay more attention to see if it actually reduces any inflammatory spots. 
  • Started using Laneige cream skin refiner. This delivers instant results of a punch of hydration and moisture. My skin was noticeably tight feeling the one day I skipped using this. Although it's pricier than my other products, I use very little each time so the overall value is still good. 
  • Started using The Ordinary's 10% niacinamide + zinc. Well this is my second bottle, and the larger size as well. Not sure if I see any visible effects, but again I'll trust the research behind niacinamide. Previously, and also when I started using this bottle, I always mixed this with another serum since I've read so much about the goopy texture of this. However I tried using this alone one day and found that it actually absorbs quite well and fast. I also read something cautioning the use of niacinamide with acids, and other things praising it's synergy with retinol, so I only use this on days when I use retinol. 
  • Started using The Ordinary's 0.2% retinol in squalene. This is the real MVP of this winter, the squalene is insanely moisturizing that I don't even use Laneige cream skin on days that I use this. On the retinol side, I am quite cautious and started with the lowest percentage, and used it towards the end of my routine. It's also not an effect that I'll see anytime soon, so I'll just have faith and purchase a higher concentration for next winter. 
For summer 2020, my goal is to use less products. Cleansing steps aside, use only BHA as my only active and only when the need arises, still use oil mixed with toner, a serum and a moisturizer. 

No comments: