16 April 2019

Sylvaine Delacourte Vanilla Collection

Here's part 2, featuring the Vanilla Collection.

I originally did not intend on buying this sample set, since I didn't think I like the smell of vanilla. But this set was only a $4 add-on, so I caved into temptations. Never hurts to sample broadly at the beginning, or in brainstorming speak, never dismiss an idea as bad. After some reading, I think I'm not a big fan of vanillin, but vanilla is ok. Still not a note that I'll actively look for, but also not a note that will turn me off of a fragrance.

...

Sylvaine Delacourte Valkerie
There is an initial blast of creamsicle smell! Actually creamsicle is probably not right, since it’s a smell I recognize from my childhood, which did not involve creamisbles. Rather it’s the orange flavour chinese freezies…or like orange yakult! Now I’m craving yakult ;_; The head notes are perfect for brunch, and afternoon tea as well. If I try hard to separate the notes out, I get the impression of a burnt wood, not smokey tho, along with the vanilla and citrus. Once it settles, it’s just the vanilla and the wood. It’s weird that the scent is creamy but a bit harsh at the same time. Although I like this scent, I am doubtful that I will regularly wear it.

Sylvaine Delacourte Vahina
Man I’m liking all of these openings. This one is sparkling for sure, a tender green stem of a flower? There is the creamy vanilla behind the sparkles, a very nice combination. It’s a girlish smell, not like a young girl per se, maybe like a bubbly, sheltered almost 20? Strangely the florals are gone within an hour on me, and all there left is a faint vanilla base. Will test again / try on clothes.

Sylvaine Delacourte Vanori
The opening indeed reminds me of a tropical beach, although I can’t tell what the notes are. A sour floral that’s also sweet? Reminds me of something I’ve eaten, a snack, but the thing escapes me. The floral combination in this one is so far my favourite, very well blended, soft (as in the texture, not the strength). I would want my therapist or doctor’s office to smell like this haha. The sour part (apparently grapefruit) goes away perhaps 10min in, leaving the sweet floral. I’m surprised at how much I enjoy the sweet floral. I can see myself wearing this when I want to seem approachable, for a sleepover, or maybe gift this to a niece or friend’s daughter.

Sylvaine Delacourte Vangelis
Opens with soft wood and soft spice. Then comes a slightly sharper, greener wood, but nothing harsh at all. Again I like the opening notes. I can’t distinguish the individual spice note, overall it smells like a mix between the Aesop Marrakesh Intense (sandalwood, which I correctly identified) and Hwyl (perhaps the blend of spices is giving off a forest impression to me). I can see myself wearing this scent on a regular basis. Ahh I smell the chai spices, loud and clear about 10mins in! Also coming in is the almond? Then there is also an underlay of a heavy floral, possibly the jasmine? I have a hard time deciding between this or Helicriss.

Sylvaine Delacourte Virgile
Opening smells like..lemon balm? Some not too sharp herbal plus citrus. Maybe like a frosted lemon cake minus the sweetness. On the other hand, its also reminding me of those pine-shaped air fresheners, which is not a great association. Interestingly Bergamote 22 never gives me the cleaning product / air freshener association. Around 20min in I smell the vanilla creeping in, but the overall scent is still fresh. The citrus has gone and along with it the air freshener association. Quite interesting right now with a back and forth between fresh and vanilla. An hour and half in, it’s mostly the vanilla that remains, but a “lifted” vanilla compared to the others.

...

Overall, It’s been a running theme amongst the vanilla collection that I really like the opening, which pretty much disappears like 15min in and all there left is vanilla. It would be a worthwhile exercise to do a comparison between the musk and vanilla collection, since the styles match up. At the moment, I'm tempted by the 30% off code to order 2 travel size bottles, one of Helicriss and one of Vanori. But first, gotta sample Parterre, my super impulsive order. 

No comments: