14 April 2019

capers

It's already hit the 30s this week in Houston, which is summer as far as I'm concerned. What this means is...bring on the salads!

I'm very picky about salads, there are many things that I don't like:

  • Overly large pieces of food (do not want to smear dressing all around my mouth)
  • Non-chopped up lettuce (a pain to try to eat with a fork, a little more bearable with chopsticks)
  • Too much dressing
  • Too sweet of dressings (although a suitable amount of sugar is necessary for balance)
  • Anything but peak season tomatoes 

I've also got a very long list of salad recipes saved in various places. Luckily I'll have plenty of warm weather this year to get to them.

 Potato salad with super mustard-y dressing

Kroger was out of stock on radishes, so I threw in some cherry tomatoes instead. Super glad that I did, the sweetness from the cherry tomato is a good foil for the huge amount of sourness in the salad (there's half a jar of pickles in there).

Barley, green bean and chickpea salad with toasted spices vinaigrette via Bon Appetite

Cumin and coriander is my go-to spice combo, so much so that I ran out of coriander and used that as an excuse for a Penzey's order. This vinaigrette is a good match for grain salads.


No comments: