07 April 2019

mémoire

To round off a week of fragrance posts, the latest batch of my first impressions:

Arquiste Fleur de Louis
Day 1: a floral bouquet it definitely is. I can identify the neroli…I think, and there’s a touch of green-ness which is probably the galbanum, but overall a nice fresh, floral mix. Very smoothly mixed, it’s also light, feels like a very fine veil. Perhaps lovely is the best word to describe this smell. I can also see this as a bridal or baby shower scent. I feel rather impulsive to want a full bottle of this, but it really is lovely.

Day 2 & 3 & 4: been wearing this to work and have decided on purchasing the full bottle.



Caron Sacre EdT
Day 1: fizzy green ish opening that soon turns into darker, heavier florals. Texture is like velvet? Probably it’s the Myrrh that’s contributing to this texture and the warmth? It definitely doesn't feel like a modern fragrance, which it isn't (actually older than me!). Once the scent settles, I get more so a powdery note. But I don’t really get any of the spice notes, perhaps that’s because my sample isn’t a spray vial so I’m missing out on the top notes. I imagine this being the fragrance of a old-school, white table cloth restaurant that enforces a dress code, or like a charity gala or award night.



Miller Harris Fleur de Sel
The very start of the opening was a light bouquet of flowers, with the texture of a tightly weaved linen that’s been washed so much that it’s super soft. Then I smell spices. And none of these are in the commonly perceived notes, which are herbal/aromatic, and salty. I think the combination of herbs and leather might be what gives me the spices impression. One note that I do smell distinctly is vetiver.

Unfortunately I didn’t realize this was a discontinued scent before buying a sample of it. I have a policy of not trying any vintage or discontinued scents in case I fall in love with them…which is exactly what happened here. It has all the elements of what I like in a fragrance for hot weather. I’ve already messaged Miller Harris’ customer service with hopes that there may be a chance for it to come back, but at the very least I can buy 15ml decants on Surrender to Chance (very expensive per ml) or gamble on eBay.



Van Cleef & Arpels Bois d’Iris
It reminds me of several Sylvaine Delacourte scents, there is creamy vanilla, a powdery iris, and the woods. Quite a heavy textured scent, which I’m not feeling in this early summer weather. Will retry when it cools down. Ah I smell some amber in the dry down, nevermind time to skip. I was not diligent enough checking the notes before sampling.



Clinique Aromatic Elixir
Day 1: the opening invokes New York. It’s cool (the vibe, not the temperature). It’s something I want to wear while walking around the shops in Soho and Nolita. It also smells retro…or I guess not modern, which again it isn’t. The scent very much reminds me of soap, but specifically of 肥皂 (soap for washing clothes, as oppose to 香皂, soap for washing yourself). In some whiffs I detect a floral香 as well. It’s a very intriguing scent, and I can’t figure out why I like the smell so much. It’s not really an attractive smell, like florals for example, but it’s just so interesting. It’s dry (as in opposite of sweet) and herbal enough to wear in the heat, so perhaps I’ll wear this instead of resorting to desperate measures to get my hands on Fleur de Sel.

Day 2: got a whiff of the florals in the opening



Serge Luten Iris Silver Mist
It smells like a place. Definitely a familiar smell, but not a perfume. Maybe my maternal grandparent’s place? Smells like a lot of old stuff, but like comforting. The official site’s description mentions that “Iris rhizomes have long been used in Tuscany to perfume linen cupboards”, which matches me imagery. An old closet full of bedding and towels, all clean but have been frequently used for many years. Familiar. It also feels warm to me, which is odd since most reviews mention a cool feeling. Also don’t get a metallic feel either. The earthiness might be what reminds me of my grandparent’s place, since it was humid and often musty (is that the white amber? cause its not as awful as amber but definitely a note that makes me pause) due it being on the ground floor and without AC when I was a kid. 

Don’t think I would want to reach for it often, for when a contemplative mood strikes (aka when I’m tired but can’t sleep). That doesn’t stop me from wanting to own a bottle, thankfully logistics is rightfully preventing me from doing so. Actually…opps I found a good deal for the 30ml, uh oh. Lemmi sit on this. Nevermind, the amber is stronger now and it does really bother me. Hurray for money saved!

No comments: