07 April 2019

ripple

Contrary to my last perfume post, the package I was expecting did not arrive. Or USPS tracking said it was delivered, but it was not. Unless someone stole the package within the 20min that the delivery was timestamped and me arriving me, but I think its more likely that it was a snafu on USPS' part. Except that my claim has been sent around to 3 post office locations with no results. Let's see how this plays out.

That is not to say that I'm without samples to play with. It's the opposite actually, my two other orders arrived, and I've gone to Houston's Le Labo and Aesop store when I realized that I was a block away on my home from Menil.

Today's post will be my first impression of the Le Labo and Aesop scents:


First off, Le Labo samples are so expensive (actually not a surprise), they're $6 each for a standard sample size vial. Luckyscent's samples are almost always $4 ;_; At least the Aesop samples are complimentary, although they're one time use wipes.

I've been wearing Bergamote 22 for the latter half of last week, but the remaining are all blotter impressions:

Aesop Marrakesh Intense
omg I totally know what sandalwood smells like, it’s those scented fans I had as a kid! I like the smell very much, but not sure if I want to wear it as perfume. Can see it as a scent to wear to sleep, most strongly associated with summer evenings. Would be all over this as a home scent tho, a diffuser perhaps?

Aesop Tacit
I smell the yuzu, but then it smells like a generic lemon cleaning product scent.

Aesop Hwyl
oof lots of smokey wood at the opening, which made me discover that I’m not a fan of smokey woods. But once that goes away in 15-20min, it’s a pure coniferous forest smell. I picture myself hiking up Grouse (never again…) an being surrounded by coniferous trees and mist. Not getting the moss tho (but then again…what does moss even smell like), which was the imagery that made me want to try this. This is super fresh, will try again on an unbearably humid day.

Le Labo Rose 31
rose, but green. Not spicy. If I smell really hard, there’s some wood in the background. After about an hour, I’m starting to smell the resemblance to Duke, which I found out is formulated by the same nose (Dauphne Bogey). But this leans a lighter feeling than Duke. Fairly certain I’ll buy one of the two.

Le Labo Bergamote 22
Blotter impression: smells like bergamot briefly at the very beginning, then changes. Not sure what is changes to, but smells nice. About 2 hours in, it’s powdery and soft, which is totally the opposite of what I associate with bergamot. Most reviews I’ve read of Le Labo mentions the lack of relation between the name and main scent, so I’m not surprised. While I do like the scent, it’s nothing special and not what I was looking for. In the dry down, I smells hints of citrus poking though.

Day 1: Very bergamot opening, but like…smooth, almost creamy (as in the texture, not the dairy product smell). I like the opening very much, overall super pleasant. Reminds me of having afternoon tea. Next comes a floral note, can’t identify which flower tho. Blends very smoothly with the bergamot. Still very pleasant, but not remarkable. The scent is already starting to fade (~2 hours)…uh oh.

Day 2: perhaps the longevity is short because the sample vial has a crappy spray. Today is 2 sprays on the back of my neck. It smells the same as day 1, with decent projection (can smell myself). Lasted about 6 hours, it was nice getting whiffs of the smell while it latest.

Day 3: wore this out to site visit to see if a hotter and more humid environment changes the scent. Not really xD Pretty much same smell and performance as Day 2.

Overall impression: pleasant, just very pleasant. Also very inoffensive, I'd feel safe wearing this to client meetings. Will pass on full bottle.

 Another datapoint in my ongoing quest to figure out the correlation / causation between scents and my headaches: I did develop a headache after coming home from these shops. I was not as dehydrated as previous occurrences, so this is at least only a contributing factor. A new factor I'm considering is the intensity of smells, by which I mean in perfume shops I smell a lot of things in a short amount of time. In contrast when I'm sampling at home, I try only 1 or 2 scents a day. 

No comments: