03 May 2019

yeux

Today's post is a continuation of what I've learned about my perfume preferences. Now I get to conceptualize and develop a framework (are those two actions redundant?) my "fragrance wardrobe" (don't really like the term, but it's accurate).

Some guiding principles (or questions, rather)
  • Arbitrary categorization: by season? by outdoor temperature? by occasion / activity?
  • Is sampling a never ending process? Maybe the end is when I lose interest in this hobby. Maybe I'll know with good enough certainty that I've found the ultimate X scent with more experience
  • How many full bottles is too many? What's the limit for analysis paralysis? Do I set a hard number for my entire collection or per category?
  • Acquisition method: do I buy from in-store where I can befriend the SA? do I try to find the best deal online?
  • Display: how to show off the pretty bottles (which is the only reason why I'm going to pay the price for full bottles that I'll likely never finish instead of being rational and buying decants) while minimizing the amount of time I spent wiping off dust?
So far the wardrobe consists / will consists of:

  • Penhaligon lord george (cooler weather / work)
  • Arquiste fleur de louis (warm weather / work)
  • Parterre a tribute to edith (jammy rose)
  • Clinique aromatics elixir (warm weather / work)
  • Grossmith hasu no hana (warm weather)
"soon" to be in my hands

Current answers to aforementioned questions:
Creating seasonal wardrobes make sense, since the weather does influence the performance of a perfume and more importantly my preference. Will try a S/S and F/W categorization for now, with a cap of 9 bottles in each. The waterfall of purchasing options is guided by availability, and go from discount sites > in-store > online > travelling to other countries (oh I will do this, in fact I'm definitely waiting on visiting London to get Parterre and Grossmith, getting that VAT deduction will be very helpful). I do want a mirrored tray to display my bottles in, not completely set on it tho, maybe just a clear acrylic tray for now. 

No comments: