20 May 2019

logan

I've not been very lucky with my selection of fragrance samples from Sephora. Did not enjoy any of the 3 that I chose.

Burberry My Burberry
Opening is fruity and floral, which is pleasant but not really my thing. I get a whiff of green apple, abstract florals, and a fruity sweetness. After a couple of minutes, the floral takes over from the fruits. A floral that is quite sweet.

Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil
For some reason all I get is an extremely soapy scent. I don’t recall it smelling like this when I tried it before. But the immediate opening is soapy, after half an hour its the same soapiness. It’s an old fashioned, floral soap. The projection of this is surprisingly good, especially considering what I’ve read about the Jardin series being quite fleeting. So far 2 hours in and it’s still the floral soap. Need to test this again as I'm finding it hard to believe that my memory of this is so different

Hermes Eau Des Merveilles Bleue
It opens with some sparkling citrus and quickly turns into an aquatic note? Not too sure, but then the sparkling texture turns into more of a still water, like a tidal pool? If I smell very closely, there's a plastic note alongside the aquatic plant note. A weird impression. Ah the plastic is probably the amber note, darn! Also noticed the patch of skin that I sprayed this on has turned red, assuming that's an allergic reaction so time to scrub this off and never touch it again.

I did blind buy Commodity Vetiver since the brand is being discontinued and there was only one 10ml spray left in store. This one I like more, although still too sweet overall. The opening smells like honey and black tea...huh. Official notes lists Apple, blackberry and petalia (a floral accord I assume). The scent stays like this for about 3 hours, and then slowly fades. I can somewhat smell the vetiver as it fades, but its definitely not a dominant note. I searched up Petalia and it's suppose to be a peony accord. Didn't get that impression, but I've also solemnly had the chance to smell peonies. 

Been thinking about why I dislike amber, resins and sweet notes and it comes down to 闷. I'm not sure what the best translation for this feeling is. On the more extreme end, it's like suffocating. Maybe stuffy? Like how you feel on a super humid day. Sweet is more like 腻. Google translates that as unctuous, TIL a new word. Both awful feelings. 

No comments: