06 March 2019

skincare routine: ATL 2019

in which I try high-key backlit photos:



For cleansers, I've been using the travel size Shu cleansing oil that I bought...when I went to Japan? Currently using the anti-oxi (purple) one, and am liking it a lot. The texture is not too thick and not too runny, doesn't sting my eyes like the porefinist (pink one). I'm considering getting full-sized version of this in the distant future (aka after I have a downpayment saved). As for second-cleaner, it's my always reliable Hada Labo foaming cleanser. I am tempted by the heavenly scent of the Sulwhasoo cleanser, but alas now is not the time for skincare inflation.

The rest of my routine is shown above:

  • Secret Key FTE: as with all the other FTEs I've used...I don't notice much improvement, but I suppose my skin tone is pale and relatively bright already. Was just using this up, will not be repurchasing any FTE in the foreseeable future
  • Hada Labo shirojyun toner mixed with Komeyu rice bran oil: I swear the secret to having a glow is to use facial oil haha
  • Melano CC vit C serum (morning only): this "oily" feeling vit c serum has been great in the drier winter times. I felt that my skin's texture has improved slightly, and that my hyperpigmentations are fading faster, at least initially. My PIH fades from a fresh scar to being able to be covered up by base makeup in about a week, which is good enough for me. Will repurchase (actually have a backup tube because I bought 2 by mistake) but am switching to a water-based vit c (Timeless vit C) now that I'm in humid Houston for the spring/summer
  • Komeyu rice bran serum (evening only): I love the texture of this serum and how quickly it sinks in. Not sure how much impact it's had, combined with the relative difficulty in sourcing this, I will not repurchase. 
  • Hada Labo shirojyun lotion: this will probably never be replaced haha. I was tempted to get a Sulwhasoo water (essential or snowise) but have not found an emulsion or lotion that is noticeably better. 
  • Sulwhasoo essential eye cream: still using the sample, this tiny bottle lasts a long time! The pump is prone to over-dispensing product too. I don't have an opinion on this really...since I'm using it preventatively, but it does smell nice and is textually nice. 
  • IUNIK tea tree serum (during breakouts only): I don't think this is as effective as the LJH one, but it does work as well. I can notice a reduction in how inflamed (or angry looking) an active acne is the morning after applying this. Won't immediately repurchase as I want to try some cica products to compare the two ingredients. 
Luckily I've used up some these products (the FTE and the serum) at the same time I'm moving to Houston, which is great since I need to use less products in the humid-er climate. Now my regular  routine is probably the most pared-down it's ever been haha, just cleansing, tone (with oil only at night), then lotion and eye cream. 

...

Morning make-up:


After a month of try-harding with mascara almost everyday in Toronto, I'm back to a lazy, no eye makeup routine:
  • Mamonde primer: this is an unexpected hit for me, especially since I was convinced into buying this by an SA. But turns out I do really like it. The lavender color correcting primer is very effective, I can see my skin tone becoming brighter and more white (as in less yellow). It also has a high enough sun protection, although I doubt I use enough of this to reap the listed protection. But given that I'm in an office all day, I'm okay with slightly dubious sun protection. Will repurchase.
  • Sulwhasoo perfecting cushion: my opinion on this drifted a lot. I didn't think it was all that special in the beginning, but am now fully appreciating its "perfecting" name. It really does just that, it gives your face a soft blur filter. It looks super natural, I swear most people cannot tell that I'm wearing base make-up. The glow from my facial oil also shows through. Although that's also the downside, this cushion has pretty much non-existent coverage of pigmentation. It does wonders for making your skin texture look perfect, but it does show all the scars / redness underneath. This is also why I'm using the color-correcting primer underneath, as it helps even my skin tone so that this cushion doesn't have to. Will repurchase
  • Innisfree powder: this goes on my T-zone and wherever my glasses sit on my face. It is really great at absorbing oil, and the effect lasts pretty much the whole workday for me. Will repurchase, although this container has lasted me years. 
  • Lipsticks: Mamonde, Aritaum, Burberry. It was such a hard decision picking which lipsticks to bring with me. In the end I settled on a bright red hydrating one (Mamonde), a glossy bright pink one (Aritaum), and a matte MLBB one (Burberry, this one is just slightly cooler and pinker than my natural lips). I tend to default to the Mamonde one, and choose the other two depending on the colours of my outfit

No comments: