30 January 2020

pull

Some things I made / ate in January:


The first roast veg salad I've made in a loooong time. I think I overdid it with roasted veg one year and got so tired of it. I also don't think I'm particularly good at roasting veg, it never turned out spectacular in terms of texture :( This salad was also just alright: a cumin, coriander and lemon dressing with spelt, roasted zucchini, roasted pepper, roasted potato and sweet potato, and some massaged kale.



Stir fried rice cakes...in which I learned the trick is actually not the stir fry the rice cakes itself. I stir fried the veggies together in advance, and also kept the rice cakes soaked in the fridge so they just needed a wee bit of heat to soften up. For each meal, I would mix the seasoning with some water and briefly boil the soaked rice cakes with the seasoning water in the frying pan (goal is to have all the water evaporate off) and then stir fry together with the veggies.



One more daal with the last of the suspiciously dirty Sobeys red lentils. Chard is a good veg to add into daal in terms of texture.

Not pictured is the escarole I bought along with the chard when it was on sale (?!) at Metro. It's hands down my favourite leafy veg to eat in a dish by itself. It's like a cross between iceberg lettuce and napa cabbage, the cooked texture has soft leaves yet crisp stems. The warm escarole salad is the only reason why I would go to Gusto101.



Calzone at Hey Lucy with Tien, who has been craving calzones for many many months. The dough is amazingly soft, but the filling was only alright.


Tacos with Alex, also the most effort I've put in for a food photo while eating out for a while. The tacos themselves are tasty, and not super heavy unlike other places. However I can't forgive this place for not doubling up on the tortilla as its impossible to pick up the saucier taco.

No comments: