06 January 2020

bounce

Onto the next hobby, the one that I probably spent the most time and money on in 2019, perfumes. After about 10ish months of being into perfume, I realized that like every other aesthetic subject, there are smells that I like and smells that I want on myself, and they sometimes often are not the same smell.

So here's some revisions on the first post of my fragrance preferences:

Do not like:
  • Citruses (ambivalent)
  • Iris (can't seem to find one that doesn't have a prominent amber accord)
  • Leather
  • Amber and resins
  • Sweet and gourmands in general 
  • Musks
  • Vanilla and a lesser extent tonka 
  • Spice
Like the smell but don't really wear:
  • Vetiver
  • Roses
  • Woods
  • Tea
  • Incense 
Like & will wear:
  • Aromatic/herbal, especially petit grain 
  • Floral mix, especially chypres. Chypres are my jam. 
There's some exceptions to the above, such as being ok with vanilla and musks if they're well blended in a formula. I'm also starting to think that I'm not super sensitive to amber and resin notes if they're not a dominate accord, which is a huge relief since it's very difficult to completely avoid the note. The biggest exception that encompasses all of the exceptions is how much I love Amouage's Fate Women. It's got a whole bunch of notes that I dislike, but the whole composition is divine.

For 2020, I want to gain more "field experience" by going to stores and smelling more scents. It's not a terribly enjoyable experience since the quality of salespeople differ, but I really don't want to accumulate more samples of things that I end up disliking or feel ambivalent about. Also hoping to drag more of my friends into this hobby :D 

No comments: