10 January 2020

august

In the spirit of my intention to sample perfumes in store, I dropped by The Bay (because I couldn't find how to get to Holts underground opps) before meeting And for dinner last week. The other big opps is that I got two test strips (ribbons actually) for Miss Dior EDP and the new Miss Dior rose n rose, and promptly lost them right after leaving the store. I did enjoy both of their scent, but I just love my Arquiste floral so much that I don't see myself using any other floral at a reasonable frequency that merits a purchase. Perhaps I’ll pick up a tiny bottle from Sephora with my points? But I also have a ton or sample vials of florals.

The main dish is 3 variants of Chanel N19, but the appetizer is Guerlain's Mitsouko EDT. I wanted to smell the EDT, EDP and parfum side by side, but the Guerlain counter only had the EDT (and it wasn't even out for display!)

Guerlain Mitsouko EDT
Still don’t get a sparkling bergamots opening, but I do get a strong sweetness (but like toasted sugar) about 5min in. It transitions into the mossy base that I like soon after, but the mossy isn’t as strong as the EDP iirc. There is a soapiness and slight powdery-ness to the moss tho, but I’m not sure if that’s just how oakmoss (more so whatever the synthetic replacement of the real thing used here) smells. Few hours in and there’s not too much change, but I did feel there was a subtle floral note that appeared within the moss. I was actually surprised that the perfume changed into the moss so quickly, where did all the florals go?

Chanel N19 EDT
This ones beginning is true grassy green. Reminds me very much of lush’s grass shower gel. It also fades into white florals faster, at about 5min in, there is barely any greeness left. Few hours later, it is still floral but slightly creamer now, rather than the lighter florals from before. I’m not sure how much of Chanel’s signature aldehydes is in this formula, but I think I get that texture with the florals here? Next day, the dry down smells slightly musky it’s woody, like a branch where the flowers have fallen.

Chanel N19 Poudre EDP
True to this flankers name, the opening is unlike the original EDP or EDT, I don’t perceive green as the dominate opening note, but rather the powdery floral. There is pretty much no change after 5min. Few hours later, there is much clean musk and bits of the powdery floral left. Since I’m not into musks at all, this is overall an unimpressive fragrance. But! Next day, the dry down smells a bit mossy? That makes an immediate opening and final dry down that I like, but don’t care for the rest of the progression.

Chanel N19 EDP
Yes this is very green. The very opening is grassy, but I think the green is more like leaves. About 5mins later there is some floral creeping in the background, but still predominately leaves. The floral is a bit sweeter than the EDT. 10mins later the sweetness becomes the central note, maybe it’s more accurate to describe it as a light floral syrup? Something that has density and viscosity, rather than a breeze of air carrying the smell of flowers. A few hours later, it’s still the floral accord but less sweet. I’m happy that there isn’t a woody base, at least not yet. Next day, the dry down smells quite powdery but still floral.

I placed these cards near my bed before sleeping, and realized that I might be smelling these wrong the whole time. Since I’m pretty bad at distinguishing smells (Ang can attest to that), I always smell super closely. But having the sample cards at a distance, the overall smell is much more pleasant and it becomes something I actually want to wear.

No comments: