18 October 2019

bell

Having no signal on the subway gives me a good chunk of time to think on my way back from work. One day I was analyzing just why my goal(s) of regularly exercising is never, ever, accomplished. Aside from the fact that I find absolute no joy in the activity itself, since I figure all of the health benefits is enough to neutralize that hate.

I've always knew that the trick is to fit it into my schedule in some frictionless way, but I never successfully implemented that. I've tried making it the last thing I do before sleep, which didn't work because some nights I am way tired and easily makes the excuse to hold it off till the next day. I've tried not tying it to a particular time and just doing it as a study break, which did work for a good...2 or 3 month when I was in Bath, but eventually the irregular schedule overthrew my willpower. I considered scheduling it right after I come back from work, since I usually do have the energy to get through one chore, but that conflicts with days when I need to cook or wash my hair. Mornings are out of the question. Another big hurdle is that I hate sweating, so I want to shower after working out, but I don't want to shower twice, so exercising is constraint to before when I'd naturally shower.

Considering all that...my latest plan is to work out twice a week: after work on Wednesday and on a weekend day that I stay in. And if I happen to skip one, which will definitely happen, then I will actually try my hardest not to skip the next one. I might also try to just block off Wednesday evening to read as well, since I've not found a long undisturbed chunk of time for that.

No comments: