03 September 2019

core

(part 5)
Finally! The last part of my Lucky Scent sample impression saga! I've managed to finish my first pass through the samples before I make my Etiket order, will pat myself on the back. The last part is dedicated to the Essential Parfums discovery set that I ordered. Since the discovery set counts as a regular product, my order total was high enough to net me 3 free samples, which made it cheaper to buy the entire sample set (5) rather than individual samples of the 3 scents I was interested in.

Essential Parfums Nice Bergamote
I expected a citrus centric scent but this is actually predominately floral, of which Fragrantica says is jasmine. It's a light floral for sure, I can see myself wearing this on a sunny early summer day. This smell is very similar to how The Alleys earl grey milk tea taste (the drink is also surprisingly floral). The performance is pretty good, with decent projection (can smell from the back of my neck on occasions) and good longevity (lasted 8 hours). I do like this fragrance, but don't think I'll spring for a full bottle.

...

Essential Parfums Orange x Santal
The name of this is very accurate and to the point. There is a big burst of Orange upfront, with a creamy texture but not necessarily a creamy smell (like a vanilla). There's whiffs of woodiness that poke through starting a couple minutes in, but I don't smell any basil or oak moss yet, which are honestly the notes that drew my interest. 20ish min in I start to get whiffs of the oakmoss accompanying the wood notes, which is honestly a great combination. I'm liking it a lot more now. I wonder if this counts as a fruity chypre adjacent, with Orange in the place of bergamot, and wood in place of labdanum? This is a good match for the late summer transition to early fall. It would be interesting if the entire collection spanned all four seasons haha.

...

Essential Parfums Rose Magnetic
This is a pretty standard rose, with some woodiness (but not oud I think) in the back. As the minutes pass, the wood aspect becomes more prominent, becoming a full on rose and wood. But it doesn't feel heavy like Floris' A Rose For..., it maintains the initial lightness and spaciousness, which I enjoy. The projection is also great, better than both Nice Bergamote and Orange x Santal. Interestingly, despite me getting such a strong woody impression, Fragrantica doesn't actually list any wood in the official notes, but rather a bunch of fruits that I don't detect at all. Overall I'm not a fan of rose and wood, so will pass on this.

...

Essential Parfums Mon Vetiver
The opening is creamy, citrus-y (lemon maybe?) and has some rootiness of the vetiver. Almost like a lemon vetiver ice cream? A few minutes in the cream sinks into a texture moreso than a note, and the citrus goes away too. This is such a pleasant vetiver, definitely qualifies as a dumb teach.

...

Essential Parfums The Musc
All I smell is sweetness, at least it didn't last very long (less than 4 hours). Nevermind I take that back. 8 hours later, after waking up from my sleep, I can clearly smell the musk. This is my first time experiencing the longevity of musks that I often read about. Nonetheless it's still not a scent that I like, but at least it performs.

No comments: