20 August 2019

masala

(part 4)
part 5 of the lucky scent sample review, we are nearing the end!

Floris A Rose For...
Oof a true rose that is a little dark, maybe there is a woody base note in there? It is also jammy, but not a true jammy rose like Parterre’s. It’s very balanced, there’s a gradient of a fresher rose note on top, then a jammy rose middle, and then that darker wood base in each sniff. This seems like an occasion or evening scent. Turns out there is oud, sandalwood and cedar (seems to be the most popular woods eh), and incense (I do get the impression now). Will do a side by side comparison with Sohan, but overall I’m not that fond of the rose-oud combo. Performance is good tho, can very strongly smell it from my neck. The scent is also linear, I don't perceive any changes a couple of hours in.

...

Perris Monte Carlo Rose de Taif
Woah, out of all of the rose perfumes that I've sampled so far, this one smells the closest to the pure Bulgarian rose oil that I had a chance to smell. There's also a slight citrus-y fresh component to it, which is very uplifting and brings some loft to the rose. There's also a subtle sweetness that I surprisingly like. I see why this got so much praise, it's like a fresh rose (fresh as in still alive) but with more dimensions. This is def tied with Parterre's rose for my favourite, with this as a lighter rose and the Parterre as a heavier rose. There’s not much change to the scent throughout the day, it stays the wonderful rose it is. Interesting that I never got any of the spice notes tho. The performance is pretty good, lasted the entire day and could almost steadily smell it from arms length away. Onto the full bottle list it goes!

...

Bruno Fazzolari Vetiverissimo
I can only describe the opening as a fresh vetiver, although I've never smelled the fresh aspect of it before, so I guess this fragrance does live up to its aspirations of exploring all facets of vetiver. The opening is both fresh and transparent, more substantial than a veil, maybe moreso like vellum? Actually it's more like a watery transparency. I don't get any spice notes so far, but it's not too much of a stretch to say that it has floral aspects. This is as feminine of a vetiver as I've smelled. This is also what I excepted Commodity’s vetiver to smell like, with its promise of peony :( The scent stayed a floral and fresh vetiver the whole 8 hours, and only projects moderately. This is from swiping via the sample vial wand, would be interested in getting a full bottle.

...

Papillon Artisan Parfums Angelique
This is the perfume equivalent of salted cheese foam green high mountain oolong tea. Very first impression is creamy, super creamy, well it's actually sweetened cream. Then there's some savoury aspect of it, and then some florals. Both the savoury and the floral comes off stronger from dabbing rather than swiping the sample containers wand. I am quite impressed right off the bat, I see why this brand is highly regarded. The scent does have low projection, and has not changed since I've applied it about 4 hours ago. 

...

Keiko Mecherie Ume
The opening immediately evokes a winter scene to me, appropriate since ume is a winter flower. It's sweet, floral, powdery and most importantly plush. Like a thick velvet that you can sink into. The projection of this fragrance is great, I can constantly smell it from arms length away, and this is from swiping/dabbing rather than a spray. It's surprising that I am liking this sweet floral, mostly because it doesn't feel heavy or sticky despite the impression of a plush texture. Now that I think of it more, the texture is some impossibly combination of light and plush. Maybe like a dense foam? Those really good face wash that lather up a super dense and cushy foam. So far I don't get any of the spice notes, and am not sure if I get the plum and woody notes either. Those notes never popped up during the entire time (8-10hrs). Overall while I like the scent, especially the texture near the beginning, but I'll skip out on a full bottle since I'm not overly into sweet florals.

...

Keiko Mecherie Makassar
The opening is very clean and slightly woody, with a hint of a sweet powdery flower. It smells like toiletries provided at classic high end hotels. I didn't detect much change afterwards, as the scent is barely discernible on me and didn't last more than a few hours. Hard pass.

...

Neela Veremeire Niral
The opening is full of spices, an Indian spice blend. I actually find it quite 闷, maybe because of the musk from the ambrette seed? After a couple of minutes that all goes away and a sweet powdery candy (like those pastel coloured sugar candies) comes in, with a floral aftertaste. Although applied more strongly (dab instead of swiping the wand), the spices remain strong but the floral aftertaste still comes in. After about 3 hours the spice finally fades into the powdery candy. I suppose the floral undertone to all this is vaguely rose like, I was hoping for a stronger rose note tho. The projection is moderate, and longevity is quite good. It's also the most expensive out of my samples, at $6 for 0.7ml oof. Will pass. 

No comments: