25 May 2023

energy

I remember my high school journal had a page on the working definition of love. In fact I remember exactly writing it as (F*d)’ing Def’n. Unfortunately (or fortunately??) I don’t recall the actual content, and I haven’t made much progress in the 15ish years that’s passed. Rui and Rashik both contributed a similar practical criteria, which I’ll summarize as when you want the person to permeate your life.

All this preamble is leading to the topic of this post: the working definition of closure. Closure is when one arrives at a sufficiently satisfying narrative of the events that transpired.

A brief interlude down the memory lane again: Generation A, a book I read long ago. The book’s theme is on the power of storytelling. That power is what imbues the narrative that one constructs the ability to absolve yet preserve one’s lingering desperately held onto feelings. Sure is fitting that the quotation I noted down almost a decade ago is:

And then what do you do - do you pray? What is prayer but a wish for the events in your life to string together to form a story -  something that makes some sense of events you know have meaning.

And so I pray.

No comments: