26 March 2022

There is no eternity to hold in hand

Finally listened to the second part of Epik High's latest album (while eating a giant bowl of moose track ice cream, guess I do stress eat now lol). Not feeling it as much as the first part, but I wonder how much of it is because epikhightranslation.tumblr.com is no longer active. Its just not the same reading translations elsewhere without the helpful footnotes especially since there's alot of references to previous albums in this one. Overall the songs in this album feels even more personal than their previous ones?? I do feel moved by their sincerity even though I wasn't their fan from the very beginning (think I really started listening with Epilogue in 2017). It is cool that "Prequal" has a verse that strings together all the previous album titles, similar to how some EW song lyrics incorporate previous expansions. I also thought "Rain Song" was a separate single but it's actually part of this album, but I'll exclude it when I consider favourites.

So far my favourite lyrics wise is "BRB", especially these lines:

Out the window of the plane I see thе world tilt
It's time to say goodbye, but I won't cry
Soon I'll be ablе to contain your home, your neighborhood, and your city all in an eye
And I will shed one tear to evaporate it all
and
I want to be free
I want to be irresponsible
I wanna stop overthinking
There's less that I want to do and more and more that I want to avoid
I must be getting old
It was a long trip, wasn't it?
Days past are made of tears and smiles intertwined
Yet we call them good memories
Maybe one day we can smile about today as well
In terms of sound so far I like "Rich Kid's Anthem" the best (really liking Lee Hi's voice), and in terms of stirring up feels it's definitely "Family Portrait". 

No comments: