01 July 2020

breeze

Hi friends I am back. 

Went back to my mom's house for a while and then came back to downtown with Jeff's little brother staying with us for a while. I find that I have exceedingly little motivation to blog when I'm with other people. But here's a post to offload some photos from my phone as it's perpetually close to full storage.

First off I finally started & finished the embroidery kit that I bought when I went to Atlanta last year:
  

For my first piece, I think it's not bad? I found keeping each stitch a consistent length to be the most challenging. It was nice to work embroidery into my routine, I typically worked on it for about half an hour after finishing work as a distancing activity in lieu of commuting. I have several ideas for future projects, but they are contingent on making a trip to the craft store (via subway) which I'm still not keen to do. Maybe I'll order another kit in the meantime?

My second accomplishment is making my mom a birthday cake. I haven't been in the same country as her during her birthday for a few years now, so I really enjoyed celebrating with her this time around. Made a black sesame cotton cake and topped it off with a peony from her garden. Flowers are such cheat cake decoration. 

The cake turned out really well! I feel that watching so many baking videos paid off even though it's my first time making a meringue dependant cake. 

This is the same peony a few days prior before it had the honour of topping the cake:

I'm pretty disappointed that the rest of the flowers in mom's yard reached peak bloom a few days after I left.

Another aspect of summer that I love is the long blue hour. Although this photo barely does the time period any justice:

Life at my mom's really is idyllic haha.

No comments: