10 July 2019

geranium


The current state of my perfume samples, featuring a Muji tray that's perfect for keeping them in somewhat of an orderly fashion (organized by family). Aside from an already planned order from Etiket, I think I will indefinitely put on hold exploring new perfumes, at least in the form of ordering samples online.

Batch 2 of reviews for the lucky scent order (part 1):

Dustia Erwan
A creamy freshie? It seems a little contradictory in concept but does work well! The aromatic component again smells familiar, but I can’t identify. Actually it’s kind of like a green tea accord (like how Innisfree’s green tea range), or maybe bamboo? Reading the official description, I did pick up on the liatris and vanilla as creaminess, but don’t get the harvest impression. I think the vanilla is overwhelming all of the toasty notes of hay and oats on my skin. Will try again in different weather to see how it changes.

...

Imaginary Authors O’ Unknown

It is powdery and possibly iris-y, similar to Sylvia Delacourte’s Florentina and Dovana. But I don’t get any of the tea and moss, which is what attracted me to the fragrance in the first place :( The scent is pretty linear over the hours, staying powdery and soft. Will use up the sample as a cuddling scent, but pretty disappointed otherwise.

...

Nishane B-612

A very lively floral opening, but grounded by something that is well blended with the higher notes. This is a case of love at first sniff. The liveliness is kinda zesty, but not citrus-y to me. The grounded something I'm tempted to say is like a creamy wood. The overall impression I get is of a chypre. Looking at the official notes, there is a lot more wood than I'm currently smelling. Although now that I know it has lavender, I can identify the smell in this fragrance. The various wood notes do become more prominent as this fragrance settled, it's now undoubtedly a woody scent with aromatic touches. The scent doesn't project, which is fine by me and seems characteristic of an extrait concentration. This is quite a nice scent for Toronto's nice summer days, onto the full bottle list it goes!

...

Maitre Parfum et Gantier Route du Vetiver

Oh gosh the opening is nasty, smells like tar / asphalt. I have no clue where this comes from, since the top notes are suppose to be a green accord and black currant according to Fragrantica. I suppose vetiver itself can have the smoky aspect, but I didn’t imagine it would come off as tar. But after 10min or so, I can smell some nicer notes coming through. The something nice is a floral? Supposedly jasmine, but just smells like a general floral to me. This did not very well through a hand wash, and all that is left is a faint floral smell. I ought to try this again.

...

Maitre Parfum et Gantier Iris Bleu Gris

I totally recognize the opening note/accord but cannot identify it. After a couple of minutes, it turns into a powdery-floral…incense. Kinda strange. I wonder if this is the smell of the iris root, since one blog review strongly says so. Then again, I don’t even have a memory of what the iris flower smells like. But if this is what iris root smells like, then it really does smell old-fashioned haha. There is also a sweetness to this that contributes to the old-fashion feel. Maybe I shouldn’t be using old-fashioned as a descriptor, since that has negative connotations that I don’t intend. It’s a very retro scent I suppose, a glamorous retro scent. Sorta of like a generic high end toiletry from an heritage hotel? I’m not sure why grey, grim, or cool is often associated with iris root, I don’t get that impression at all. If anything this is like the warm tone of an incandescent light bulb.

However, I think I’ll stop chasing niche iris perfumes…and end my search overall by just trying Prada’s infusions again. It’s been a very disappointing search overall ;_;

No comments: