06 October 2018

Stella's Ultimate Coconut Layer Cake

I did not sleep well last night, was stressed about making my first layered cake. It's Stella's recipe, so I know I'm in good hands, but still.

It turned out okay, I'd give it 7.5/10


I skipped the white chocolate ganache since I couldn't find Valrohna's Dulcey and am not up for slowly caramelizing chocolate. Just to contradict myself, I did make toasted sugar. Also skipped the toasted coconut flakes since Jeff isn't a fan.

This was really time consuming. Solely because my hand mixer is under-powered and it took forever to 1) cream the butter & sugar, and 2) whip the meringue. In fact I was legit scared that my hand mixer's motor will break due to overheating while whipping the meringue. Stand mixer plz ;_;

Frosting the cake also took a while, because I'm inexperienced but also because the cake layers don't align. I wonder what the tricks are to having cakes with straight sides. The tall cake pans did help a lot with having a flat top, I barely had to level the tops. Pipping buttercream also needs some more practice. Appearances aside, the taste is great and super coconut-y, as promised.

Next...to tackle the opera cake @_@"
...

Bonus milk tea pot-au-creme, which has such a luxuriously creamy texture.


recipe via Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi

SaveSave

No comments: