20 February 2022

You Are Eating An Orange, You Are Naked

I saw in the description of this book that it is similar to Murakami, that's all it took to convince me to read it. Though I didn't mind much similarities, other than the overall vibe maybe? The style is not even too close. The book does give me a very uncanny feeling because 1) the main setting is Toronto and I've been to a lot of the places mentioned and 2) the asian-canadian experience. 

Nonetheless I enjoyed the book, and this quotation in particular because it is far too relatable:

I still wonder if telling you the story "Snow in June" when we returned to Toronto was the right thing to do. I told you this story, and then you quit your job. I don't know where you are right now. But whatever. Maybe debating whether something was the right thing is not the right way to go about this situation at all. I told you a story, and afterwards you quit your job and went somewhere, and I haven't heard from you since. The three events have no correlation. Maybe, as in the story itself, there is no right and wrong. Most of the time, all there is is coincidence.

No comments: