26 February 2022

We Want What We Want

Somehow I've ended up reading a good amount of short story collections. I'm not entirely sure what the theme of this collection is, other than what the title says, but perhaps desire?

One quotation I noted:

Kelsey had suggested eloping - she thought it would be funny if they got married at city hall and then went through the drive-thru at In-N-Out in a white dress and tux - but Graham was convinced that ultimately she'd look back on it with regret. He didn't want to begin their life together with no sense of occasion. He believed in the need for symbols and trappings, the consecration of moments. Otherwise life was a mess of emotions, fraught and terrible, lacking form to contain them. Kelsey said, "If it means I get to taste a lot of cake, I'm okay with it.

No comments: