10 January 2021

Piston

 Lately, I've not done a good job posting about the books I've read. The last three are Let My People Go Surfing (Patagonia founder’s memoir), Mating in Captivity and State of Affairs (both by Esther Perel) 

I have no direct quotations to share, but here are a few memorable ideas:

  • True corporate social responsibility is hard to tack on, it needs to be the in the DNA of the organization. The critic of the response of many company’s support for BLM on social media last year supports this point. 
  • Incorporating local practices is crucial to become an international organization. Otherwise you’re just doing business internationally.
  • “[any duality] is not a puzzle to be solved but a paradox to be managed”. Not sure if I correctly recall the exact wording, but this can pretty much be my 2021 theme haha. Since listening to the Secular Buddhism podcast few years ago (actually I listened to Esther Perel’s podcast at the same time), I am internalizing that many opposing things are in fact dualities that cannot be separated or have one dominate the other. 

No comments: