02 January 2021

2021 resolutions

 Is it time to try completing a list of new year resolutions again? Might as well have some explicit goals to work towards:

  1. Focus on hobbies with less screen time: something crafty? I do want to do some more embroidery and give kumihimo a try. Also to use all the makeup I bought this year (learn how to do a super clean base)...and get at least 5 wears on all the new clothes. However, I did buy a switch (animal crossing edition!!) so I do predict that my overall screen time is not going to lessen much. 
  2. Participate in communities around my hobbies: I did post more in /r/AsianBeauty, /r/FemaleFashionAdvice (patting myself on the back for my ru qun inspo album) and /r/ffacj_discussion this year, and found it more fun than just browsing. Beauty and clothing can be very consuming-oriented hobbies, but one can focus on developing taste and opinion as the primary way to engages in aesthetics. Communication is integral to the development of these taste and opinions, and what better place for that than online forums! Aside: I've managed to evade a lot of report writing for work, and writing for my own blog comes with my self-imposed pressure to express my thoughts as accurately as possible), but writing on forums is quite liberating. Back on topic: would be great if I can make some new friends around common hobbies. 
  3. Impose some form of physical activity: it's time to concede that my willpower is lacking when it comes to exercise so the next step is to sink some money into equipment or class that will hopefully motivate myself to keep up whatever the activity is. Before covid, I wanted to do climbing, so hopefully this can resume sometime next year. I'll also sign myself up for some yoga or pilates too? 
  4. Make an equal amount of purchases at small or local businesses as large businesses
  5. Read 35 books: I have quite a lot of holds left in Libby, and a bunch of books from Adventurous Kate's 2020 list looks interesting. Will also take a look at Bill Gate's list
  6. Increase my savings %: I finally get employer match for RRSP! But I'd like to save at least 5% more? It can be much more depending on how much longer I can live rent free and whether Toronto's rent recovers to pre-covid levels. 

No comments: