26 August 2020

tender

I've made Kenji's pan pizza 3 or 4 times before, but this is the most successful yet (from the bread's perspective at least):


My theory on the bread is having fresh yeast and cranking the oven as high as it'll go (unfortunately still only 500F) will get a good rise, while lots of oil on the bottom will get a crispy crust that contrasts with the airy interior.  I would skip the slices of large tomato for topping, it releases too much water. Halved cherry tomatoes are ok as the skin holds all the juices in. 

Overall effort is also quite low, so hopefully pizza will have a regular appearance during meal time. I do recall saying the same thing before, but hopefully it'll ring true this time. 

...

Also made some ice cream sundae on a different day with leftover fruits:


Chopped up some strawberries and cherries and cooked it with just a bit of sugar to make a fruit sauce. I really enjoy the taste of cooked fruits, in this case I think the sour and sweet is in better balance after a brief simmering. And by brief I mean I threw fruits into the pot as I chopped them and turned the heat off once I added all of the fruits in and gave it a good stir. I imagine a little bit of spices would also be great in the sauce. 

No comments: