26 December 2019

Chemistry

This book perfectly occupies the uncanny valley to me, it's relatable enough but not 100% so that I can't help not really enjoying reading it (gosh that's a convoluted sentence). I also have a general aversion to reading this subject matter (this being the Asian immigrant experience) despite how much time I spend scrolling through SAT. So sorry to friends that have recommend books on this subject that I probably said I'll add it to my reading list but never actually did.

What I have been interested in reading is about poverty in North America (see the previous post). While I find it fascinating to read about such different experiences and mindsets that occur in such close proximity, I also feel guilty that I have the privilege to only read about these experiences and not have to actually live through them. Like...cultural appropriation? Or like how tourists go see slum settlements. I think guilty is an appropriate reaction, but what bothers me is that it doesn't actually lead to anything else (again see previous post). I'm now more aware of these structural inequalities and doing the exactly same nothing about them. Sure I'll be more conscious of my biases against poor people, but that is hardly impactful. And that's it.

No comments: