28 December 2023

2023 clothes

This blog has been on life support for a while with FFXIV screenshots, but I am feeling motivated to do some of my usual end of year reflection and updates.

Starting with clothes today.

It's been a very long time (since 2020??) since I updated my inventory spreadsheet. Took a while to enter in all the data welp.

At a very high level, I'm even farther at a point where my wardrobe is comfy and additions are mostly pieces I like the design of rather than trying to fill a functional need. I also took the opportunity of moving to do a very small clean-out and finally sell some pieces on the second-hand market. Facebook marketplace is not a fun experience, but I'm irrationally adverse to shipping stuff out (its really not as big of a hassle as I think it is).

Notable departures:

  • Office clothing: because I don't go into the office enough to warrant keeping them. Most of them were bought for PEY, so they are showing their age in either style or durability.
  • Thin cardigans (3): very highschool-y, overall I've not been wearing cardigans much except for the new Patagonia recycled cashmere one I got towards the end of last year.
  • Pleated skirts (3) : I very much feel too old to wear pleated skirts rip, luckily they're getting a new life with my little cousin.
  • Babaton cocoon coat: it's been a good 11 years with this coat but I don't see myself reaching for it over my 101801 in any occasion. Went to a loving new home, the nicest buyer I've encountered on FB marketplace. Now to do the same with my JCrew stadium coat.
  • Adidas stan smiths: RIP, hit a good 70cents per wear over 6 years.

Remaining wardrobe overall stats:
  • 108 pieces being tracked
  • 24 items below $1 per wear
  • 57 items over 5 years old

I half-heartedly wanted to not purchase any new clothing this year, but in fact did buy 13 new items:
  • A blue knit crop tank in Montreal: $35 ish?
  • Several items on Taobao, 2 mockneck layering pieces and a qi-pao collared satin top: $70 ish?
  • Uniqlo and Mame Kuroguchi collab heart neckline top and 3d mockneck knit: $75
  • MM6 bias cut skirt, a very impulse buy in China: $500 ish
  • Nanushka faux leather pants, because windproof: $280
  • Vickyyoung cream pants, technically bought ages ago on Taobao but only got it now: $25 ish
  • MaxMara coat, my HG: $3578
  • Zara shearing jacket, probably the only leather jacket that suits me: $90
  • RM Williams wholecut chealsea, an impulse buy to match Rashik's but am wearing quite frequently: $700
  • NB754 to replace my stan smiths: $91

I'm going to again half-heartedly commit to not buying clothes for 2024, because I would really like to pay off a bigger chunk of the mortgage when it renews in 2 years.

No comments: