08 August 2022

How High We Can Go in the Dark

Hmm, is this the first time I'm saying that I could possibly enjoy a movie version of this more? Maybe this is just because I watched Cloud Atlas and really enjoyed that experience, the aesthetics and music. The comparison between the two novels is pretty apt. The last chapter did really nicely tie things together, very satisfying ending. 

A passage that I like:

It's only the two of us now. Your eyes are nothing but subtle concave indentations, your nose a minor bump in a round piece of ice. You're floating on your back, staring at the sky. My hands are around your waist. preventing you from spinning between the waves like a crystal log. The battery on my recorder is fading. I fear water has seeped inside it. Before there is nothing left to hold, I want to tell you all the things I never got to say, what I would have said if I could have played a larger role in what remained of your life. I could have loved you; I did anyway (and maybe if our lives had been different you could have loved me, too). I tell you a million other little things until nothing remains of your kirin-mermaid self except for a piece in my hands the size of a large hailstone, until that too melts.

No comments: