29 July 2018

stroke

The most local meal yet:


Bread and cheese from Bath, Honey from Somerset, strawberries from Britain. Olive oil and za'atar from far away.

I must confess...I really did not like the cheese. What I expected was somewhere in between a brie and robiola. Then I read the back of the package where it said that the slightly older cheese (which this one was as it sat in my fridge for ~2 weeks) has an earthy taste. That didn't worry me, pssh I've handled earthy ripe pu-er fine (although luckily I haven't had any really dank ones). But I was wrong, very wrong. It really tasted awful. I had to load it up with honey in a rather futile effort to cover up the taste. Then I tried it with the olive oil and za'atar, which was even worse since everything tasted bitter in a bad way. I seriously considered throwing the remaining ⅔ away...if not for its one redeeming quality which is its texture. It is the perfect spread on bread texture, absolutely perfection.

But I was successful in rescuing it. Paired with some braised greens, it actually tasted inoffensive. A small hint of earthiness that actually complimented the greens, and was even good with a fried egg to top it all off.

No comments: