21 September 2017

kuroba

My going away present to myself: russian honey cake with a clover design obviously (this is the second closest I've gotten to H&C irl).




I thought the recipe was very intimidating...but was not too difficult actually. It is time consuming, took me about 3 hours of active time to make. The beginning and ending steps are much easier with an assistant. Some changes to the recipe / my own notes:

  • Don't let the caramel mixture cool too much before adding the eggs; the warmer the liquids, the easier it is incorporating the flour (aka less of an arm workout)
  • A 9" lid is the secret to shaping the biscuits into perfect circles. While the dough is still between the two sheets of parchment paper, press the lid lightly onto the stack to mark where you'll be cutting. Then peel off the top sheet and firmly press down on the lid to cut the dough. Having the light marking ensures that there won't be gaps around the edges since it's moderately difficult to roll the dough large enough. 
  • The biscuits baked unevenly for me, there were many large bubbles even after docking the dough. I then very, very aggressively docked the remaining dough, but it was not very effective in preventing the bubbles. 
  • I accidentally bought half the required sour cream and double the condensed milk ha ha... so I made the frosting in that ratio. It worked out well in terms of texture and softening, although tastes too sweet for me. 
  • How does one coat the sides in crumb? I grabbed a handful of crumbs and pressed them onto the sides, but this got really messy. 
Overall this is the favourite cake that I've made. 

No comments: