26 September 2017

coin

Yesterday was a cool, crisp, and grey day in Bath. I'm surprised that I find a day like this quite pleasant, it's the perfect weather for layering clothing and not having to worry about overblowing the sky in every photo. (But to be honest, the sky was overblown in all my photos because I believed the histogram over the live view. I feel so betrayed ._. )

Went on my first stroll around Bath up to the Royal Crescent and down to buy some Chinese groceries. While the streets in the city centre are very picturesque lined with bath stone houses, there's quite a lot of cars zooming around to get a tranquil atmospheric photo. So look the food I ate instead:


I was originally debating between here or Society Cafe, but decided on here after reading extensive blog posts by the owner. The barista there was helpful (and handsome) in choosing me one of their beans. This one is supposedly fruity and a bit floral, I didn't really get those notes but did notice the lack of bitterness. It was harsh (kinda spiky) feeling in the throat, which is weird. Will probably go back in a month since they rotate their selection.

Lunch is at The Scallop Shell, with the most adorable receipt box:

The chips were alright, fish is very light and tender, however the real standouts are the mushy peas and white bread. Yes I'm surprised by this sentence too.

Bread: makes more sense that they're from the Bertinet Bakery, which from my initial research about bath is the best bakery in town. It's soft when you first bite into it but actually has good structure to make subsequent bites substantial.

Mushy peas: it was so good that I asked the chef for the recipe, hopefully I am allowed to publish it here.
  • Marrowfat peas and split peas 1:1
  • Soak with baking soda 24hr
  • Boil with water to cover 1" with bouillon
  • Finish with salt pepper butter
The secret is the inclusion of the split peas which breakdown and thicken the dish. Am excited to make this, hopefully it keeps well in the fridge so I can just make a big batch. 

No comments: