27 April 2023

punch

I guess I didn't realize how odd it is that I feel better reading "sad" (broadly defined) stories when I'm feeling down. A new friend mentioned that he watched a lot of slice of life anime and the fluff cheers him up when he's down and I was just sitting there thinking how unfathomable that is. Welp?

All this preamble is for some quick impression of the recent books that I finished. Very much not feel good books: 

  • To add to Tomorrow Tomorrow Tomorrow - it was a very grounding description of human relationships. I like Marx’s character a lot.
  • Free Food for Millionaires - I like more than Pachinko because setting is more relatable. Was another big emotional punch for me, something about you could love two women at the same time but it’s not practical. Ending feels a bit rushed, especially with Leah and Charles story, but I can’t say that there’s insufficient closure. Hope Min Jin Lee releases more books soon!
  • Anxious People - let’s get the bad out of the way first, I find the writing style to be grating. The parts in second person, the overly conversational style, the breaking of the forth wall, ugh. But the ending is worth suffering through the writing for, it strikes just the right tone of hope. Like very much positive and optimistic, but in a non saccharin way that’s off-putting when experiencing anxiety and related afflictions. It’s nice to hear that affirmations about doing your best. 


No comments: