24 February 2021

sake

 Books I've read since the new year:

  1. The Death of Ivan Ilych and other short stories
  2. The Undocumented Americans
  3. The Department of Speculation
  4. Strange Weather in Tokyo
am behind according to Goodreads on my goal of 35 books a year. Been feeling unmotivated as I've not been very absorbed in any of the above 3 books. But persist I shall. On the other hand, Embers Ad Infinitum is really growing on me, the main character's antics gets increasingly endearing. I shall find time somewhere to read the author's first work. 

But one of the latest set of photos that Takashi Yasui uploaded to his tumblr matches the mood I get from Stranger Weather in Tokyo:



He does this style so well: strong light & shadow but still soft. The mood is really how I feel about a lot of Murakami's work, but I don't feel like this book is similar to Murakami's books aside from a vague stylistic resemblance. Perhaps it's something about the Japanese language? But that could be a vestige of the translation? I've read enough manga vs. manhua vs. manhwa to notice the stylistic similarities amongst their respective english translations. 

No comments: