29 April 2018

Tangyuan

I spent 3 hours making 10 tangyuan yesterday... it's almost not worth it if not for the peanut filling. So much better than store-brought peanut tangyuan.

first failed attempt in the background & now I have glutinous rice flour all over my camera

Lady&Pup is my go-to source for Asian recipes that go the extra mile. I used her dough and eye balled my own peanut filling: equal parts (⅓ cup perhaps?) demerara sugar and crushed roasted peanuts, with less than a tablespoon of peanut butter and peanut oil each and a pinch of salt.

Beginner's luck: the filling to dough ratio worked out exactly
Beginner's mistake: forgot to halve the amount of water, which resulted in a very sticky dough and a big reason why this took 3 hours. Next batch should be faster!

Some tips I learned on how to shape a sticky dough:

  • Roll the dough between 2 ziplock bags, these have some coating on them that's non-stick
  • Very important to roll the dough such that the edges are thinner than the middle
  • Remove just the top ziplock bag and shape the tangyuan on the other
  • Wet fingertips when folding the dough to prevent it from sticking to fingers. But if enough flour is sprinkled onto the bottom bag, then the dough might not stick. 
  • Crushed peanuts are sharp and easily pokes through the dough, no tricks to prevent this aside from crushing them finely, but I happen to like bigger pieces so just had to be careful 
  • To help achieve a smooth surface after closing the dough, liberally wet the folded dough with water and try to smear the folds together with fingers. Wet > smear > dip in more flour > repeat. I'm usually happy with the smoothness after 3 rounds. 

No comments: