25 March 2018

ReRe Hello

I've been reading a lot of manga lately since switching to MangaDex. Most scanlators are still uploading their previous projects, so it's the perfect time to discover new titles.

This shojo is one of the best. It has the standard list of plot items, but the characters react in more mature ways. Maybe because I'm so much older than the characters in shojo manga now, but my tolerance for super contrived drama, even well executed, is pretty low. Instead this delivers the fluff and heart warming feels in a more straight forward way. It also takes care to flesh out the supporting characters well too.

Ah I admit that I've over-dosing on shojo manga cause I miss my boyfriend. Wah.

...

Of course after I post this I find updates for an old series that I was following, which is very dramatic.  It's also very good and I must admit more satisfying to read in a marathon.

Also picked up this series, which is more like my original example. I like the pacing here, 6 chapters and there's already concrete character development. The art prep school setting also vaguely reminds me of H&C, so that's very favourable bias.

...

A change of genre: Immortal Regis & Cavalier of the Abyss
I wonder if I'll ever get to see the ending of this, at least the raws are complete but a 9 month hiatus isn't promising. I was fooled that Immortal Regis was complete and failed to notice the rather obvious link to the sequel in its description ;_; The last chapter had to be the beginning of the final flashback too...

It reminds me of...Id (yet another great series that I'll never know the ending of) and Ares (A-Team scanlated a couple chapters of these two series too), which is great praise. I think the pacing and plot development is similar to Ares, whereas characters are more like Id. Though I must admit that I don't really like any of the characters, and feel that Nex and Serin's ship came out of no where like Tidus and Yuna's. The second generation is not too likeable either. Though it should be intentional that there's no one heroic.

No comments: