01 May 2014

second year

And second year is over with.

For once the latter semester felt really long instead of the usual breezing by. Didn't enjoy it as much as other times even though good things definitely happened. Still recovering from feeling really tired and unsure about the future haha.


First semester was pretty good, made more friends within civ and got rank 1.
Also had an interesting course called APS301, in which the prof lectured very passionately about how to save the world (paraphrasing). The workload of this course was really heavy with readings, didn't even get that good of a mark in it, but it had a biggest impact in terms of opening my eyes. It's pretty funny how frequently an idea that was mentioned in that course makes an appearance in TED talks. Vanderburg is everywhere!

Second semester wasn't as fun.
Had this one course that was a nightmare because of the professor, will definitely go complain give constructive criticism to her face instead of here. Hopefully that goes well and kiddies who take it next year will have a better experience.

Joined YNCN, which I think is a great decision. So many amazing people there, just gotta push my self to socialize with them haha. I really like the marketing VPs, they're both skilled and offers constructive feedback.
Also decided to stick to WISE for another year. Had fun with the team during the conference (I wasted that opportunity sigh) and I feel the club has much more potential. Opted for an internal position rather than doing professional development (conflict of interest with YNCN anyways) so I can apply the insane organization of YNCN to WISE.

The most difficult part was transitioning from having good marks to something else (???)  as number one priority. First problem is that I don't know what the something else should be. Second problem is that getting good marks is so ingrained in my identity that I feel lost without it. Maybe I'll figure something out.


With half of university over with (not counting PEY), starting to worry about what to specialize in. Building science or structural? It's making me stressed more so than it should, mainly because up until now I've mostly known what's the next step. Feeling kind of like the brief period where I wasn't sure whether civil or some other branch of engineering is right.
Everything I know suggests that the choice between the two doesn't matter at all in undergrad. In fact the couple professionals in building science I've spoken to all came from a structural background. There's also not enough courses in forth year to actually specialize, either would likely require a graduate degree anyways.
Time to get comfortable with the feeling of being unsure.

No comments: