20 June 2013

Mother Night

Vonnegut's books are always so good. Can't seem to pick a favourite out of the ones I've read, I'm always biased towards the one I've most recently read. In this case, it's Mother Night.

Synopsis from Amazon:
Mother Night is a daring challenge to our moral sense. American Howard W. Campbell, Jr., a spy during World War II, is now on trial in Israel as a Nazi war criminal. But is he really guilty? In this brilliant book rife with true gallows humor, Vonnegut turns black and white into a chilling shade of gray with a verdict that will haunt us all.
That is pretty much spot on, how Campbell views his "crimes" is with acknowledgement that he has done wrong, but doesn't feel guilty about committing them.

For example, his feelings on countries fighting each other:
Its impossible for me to get emotional about it, because real estate doesn't interest me. Its no doubt a great flaw in my personality, but i cant think in terms of boundaries. Those imaginary lines are as unreal to me as elves and pixies. I cant believe that they mark the end or the beginning of anything of real concern to a human soul. Virtues and vices, pleasure and pain cross boundaries at will.
which leads him to say:
Oh, God - the lives people try to lead.
Oh God, - what a world they try to lead them in!
His neighbour, a doctor, says to him when he complains of a headache:
It isnt broken and its filled with a heartbreakingly clear understanding of the self and the world.
Not sure how to tie this in with the other quotations, but:
Espionage offers each spy an opportunity to go crazy in a way he finds irresistible 

Highly suggest you all to read something by Vonnegut :D It's such good humor, good dark humor. C'mon, any book that opens like this in the introduction is bound to be good:
We are what we pretend yo be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be

Oh and the ending, on one hand you see it coming, but then again, you don't expect it either. Like I knew it couldn't end any other way, but how it actually happens. I finished reading it on the subway, and just giggled in my seat.

No comments: