17 March 2018

farl

What I fed myself last week:


Lunch was this rice cooker mixed rice, adapted from here. Sainsbury strangely were out of stock on many produce, including sweet potatoes, so I've replaced it with butternut squash. Unfortunately butternut squashes are rather tasteless unless roasted, so this dish didn't turn out that great. My rice cooker's capacity is also way too small, so I had to steam the squash separately. Will keep experimenting with other ingredient combinations, thinking of using these peas with some smoked mackerel next.


Dinner pasta #1 was this bitter & sweet pasta. Radicchio, which was not in stock, was replaced with red cabbage and I would even replace the fennel with regular onion next time as the anise flavour didn't show through. That takes care of the two most expensive ingredients. I really like the flavour combination, but it would probably work better in a grain salad format. But that introduces the trouble of contrasting shapes which I dislike: round little grains and long slivers of vegetables.


Dinner pasta #2 was the no-cook tuna pasta, which is essentially just a warm tuna pasta salad. Its very  tasty with lots of contrasting flavours: tuna against the acidic lemon zest and juice (I added waaaay more than the recipe specified), and salty olives. This is one of those eat from your pantry meals.

No comments: