16 March 2018

English Muffins

The first Joe Pastry recipe that I made: English muffins

Aside from the couple tries it took to learn the heat/time for my stove, they turned out wonderfully without much fuss.


The dough is pretty much dump and slightly mix. My measurements were pretty inaccurate and imprecise (eyeballing butter, using dry measure cups for liquids...oh my) but the dough doesn't seem very sensitive. This shows half a batch of the dough, but I've further reduced the yeast since I gave it an overnight rise in the fridge so I can cook them fresh in the morning. I left it on the counter while I went to shower, so there was some time for the yeast to start eating. There was evidence of yeast activity before I put it in the fridge, and by morning (photo) it was very obvious that the dough has risen.


This is the second test muffin (the first was made free-form and ended up quite flat, do not recommend). I DIY'd a muffin ring from folding aluminium foil, which works fine. Maybe even better than fine since you can un-crimp it to release the muffin easier. The sides are torn here because I forgot to grease the mold. The top is also burned from trying to determine the optimal heat level. But the crumb! Glorious crumb! It's moist, airy, yet offers some resistance when you bite down.


The successful two: heat level 2 is good for just forgetting them on the stove while heat level 3 is better for a more brown crust but gotta watch over them more. I should time the next batch though. The height is also more like a standard english muffin, I think this corresponds to filling the mold ~ ⅓ of the way.

Overall I'm quite happy with these, but even happier now that I can make fluffy bread on the stove top.

No comments: