19 January 2014

turmeric

After seeing many posts on /r/skincareaddiction about turmeric masks, I decided to give it a try.

Some preamble: I've tried some product that's highly recommended on SCA and also over at /r/asianbeauty, and haven't seen much results (eg. PC's AHA/BHAs) or could've broke me out more (eg. Benton's snail serum ;_; giving this another go though). Yet I'm stubborn and is thinking of ordering a bunch of oils and mixing them (cause this sounds fun too). Making the turmeric mask is a smaller investment (yay bulk barn!) than buying oils hence I decided to give it a try.

In short it works.
Wonderfully too I might add, though this is only after one application so we'll see how subsequent trials go. For me, it greatly reduced the redness around my acne scars. The scar itself didn't lighten, but it looks more like a darkened spot now rather than a blurry red smear beforehand (not the best description, would be better if I had B&A photos). The results also didn't immediately show, I only realized after waking up the next morning that most of the redness is gone.

The recipe I used is:
  • 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp chickpea flour (going to try rice flour next time, apparently it has brightening properties)
  • squirt of honey (probably somewhere around scant 1/2 tsp as well)
  • enough full fat yogurt to make consistency like yogurt 
The mask is nice in not drying completely (ie. to the point of cracking) as to impede facial movement. Washing it off also offers some exfoliation from the dry ingredients. Though I had some trouble washing it off with just my hands and had to use a washcloth, which got stained yellow because of the turmeric. 

No comments: