22 September 2013

backlog

I have a lot of cool stuff saved on my hard drive or instapaper for "the future" when I will "have time". Aka never. But it's such a shame to not revisit some of these things, so here's some attention that they deserve.

1. Douglas Hofstader articles from Scientific America (also old issues of the magazine I got from high school).
Seriously, I swear I'll read these one day. This one day was suppose to be sometime in the summer break that just passed. Never will I be as free as then "orz. This article (Presidential Lecture) by Hofstader I did read! I also tried reading GEB, but I don't get it. Hofstader too smart, there's an entire subreddit devoted to the book, as well as a MIT Openware courseware. Someone please commit to the course with me.

2. Lockhart's Lament.
I'm pretty sure I've posted or told some of you about this, but too lazy to check. A good read.
Bonus: very difficult math problems (lecture by David Hilbert).

3. What's Your Favourite Deep, Elegent, or Beautiful Explanation?
If quora is a book and had even better responses. ONE DAY, all of these books shall be read!

4. Classic literature
I miss summer because I miss having free reading time. It's embarassing how little of these titles I've read, though a good amount appeared on my reading list at some point in time. PEY year is when I catch up! Another list from Zen Habits

5. The Country of Blind- H.G.Wells
Funny how I got the idea of the post because I came across a H.G.Wells quotation. Not the one I posted before though, and wikiquote has different wording:
The past is but the beginning of a beginning, and all that is or has been is but the twilight of the dawn.
It also makes so much more sense in context, (the context sounds rather similar to the content of APS301). H.G. Wells reminds me of Vonnegut, like a british version that was affected by WWI instead of WWII (aka pretty awesome, gots to read his books too).

6. A lot of hotels to visit (hinthint Rui leggo).
Moral of the post: go through my instapaper and downloads folder more often.

No comments: