21 November 2017

snowdonia

I'm spoiled for dairy products being in the UK. Milk is cheap and delicious. Yoghurt is cheap and delicious. There's so many cream products. And above all, there's all the cheese. Fun fact: cheddar originated in Somerset (the county Bath is in).

I've so far only gone to one cheesemonger in Bath (Nibbles Cheese) where I took my first step down the rabbit hole with these:

Keen's Cheddar

I thought this one is just good. An obvious improvement to supermarket cheddar in every aspect, but also not outstanding in any aspect. Would not re-purchase but it sets me up to appreciate the following 2 cheese.

Wyfe of Bath (gyuyere style)

I didn't know about this at all until I was at the counter where this was featured as the cheese of the week. A little note said that this is made 20km from Bath, of course I get sucked into buying a piece of the hyperlocal cheese.
This taste obviously different, predominately grassy and maybe a bit nutty? It taste like a direct translation of the grass that the cows ate, which I know doesn't sound very appetizing but it is. I didn't expect to enjoy the grassy taste as I'm not a fan of green teas, but man I really like this and will repurchase.

The best for last:

In short, the first excellent (as in objectively a different tier) cheese I've eaten. The texture is creamy (must be room temperature to fully appreciate), yet there's granules or crystals that adds a delightful crunch. It's fluffy and basic food blog language, but also very true in this case. I recall reading that good aged parmigiana-reggiano have that granular structure, will have to scout one out in Bologna and see. The flavour is best described as intense. I tend to eat bite after bite of Wyfe of Bath, but only take nibbles of this cheese. I imagine that a sesame brittle and cold grapes would go well with this, but I've literally never paired cheese before. Will definitely be buying more of this and trying other Snowdonia cheeses. I'll for sure be reminiscing about this (and dark chocolate digestive McVities) when I leave. Not sure if it's harder to find a Canadian stockist or to bring back a 2kg wheel.

No comments: