15 June 2017

one

Mom's birthday dinner:


This sponge cake from Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi is the most difficult cake I ever made, and perhaps not so coincidentally is also the cake with the shortest ingredients list I've ever made. It's just flout, sugar, eggs (and salt & vanilla extract, but these aren't structural). Aka a recipe to witness the power of eggs. I was super skeptical when pouring the 300g of sugar into 6 egg yolks, thinking it'd just be yolk coated sugar clumps, but it did in fact turn into a texture that falls as billow-y ribbons off the whisk. That's the good news. The bad news is that I completely messed up folding the stiff-peak egg whites in, mostly because I didn't think to switch to a bigger spatula to minimize the number of folds until the very end. Don't be stupid like me. Regardless it's not easy trying to fold clouds into concrete. So the final cake is not quite spongey, but still delicious with some strawberry compote and a generous dollop of softly whipped cream.

No comments: