- People are afraid to park on the middle levels of parking garages
- The number of tall buildings can be counted with a single hand
- The airport has water features that belong at a luxury hotel.
- Packing cubes are really wonderful
- It is awesome having back-ups / travel sized containers of skincare / make-up items permanently packed. Saves time scrambling the morning of.
- It was a good idea to bring multiple smaller bags within my Tortuga Air since most of my days were spent doing field work (need to carry a bunch of equipment) interlaced with eating out (brought a smaller clutch). For longer trips, would carry daypack separately.
Speaking of my Tortuga Air, the verdict is that I do like it and is a good purchase. Let me go over the whole purchase story.
Quite some time ago (yeaaars) I came across the Goruck GR1 and that was the pack that set off my interest in packing light / one bag (of course there's a subreddit for this). While I'm not at the level of ultra-light yet, I was determined to go one carry on sized bag for all my trips (okay except for when I'm coming back from China).
The GR1 is quite pricey, and not designed for travel in mind. But it is tough as hell and sleek looking. I did discover Tortuga back when they just started out, but the first model was quite ugly to be honest. After browsing /r/onebag and some other travel blogs sporadically over the period of said years, my shortlisted bags were the following:
- Goruck GR1
- Tortuga Air
- Osprey...either the Farpoint 40 or Porter 46
Other things that I like:
- the organization
- top pocket for easy access, and easy to take out laptop
- opens flat like a suitcase
- understated look
- water bottle side pocket, honestly why is this not on every pack?
When I loaded it up for Memphis and carried it around, for most of the time it was very comfortable. Then again I was carrying field equipment so I don't expect the bag to be heavier on personal trips. New York will be the real test.
Side story: I discovered Tom Bihn Synapse just a couple of weeks after ordering the Tortuga. Had I known about this back then, it's a toss up between which one would've been my final choice. I like how there's a full line of accessories.