11 August 2010

Chocolate Cake, the best yet.



That, is absolutely delicious.
Most chocolate cakes I've made are either too sweet or too dense, but the sweetness of this cake is just right, texture is just right, and so darn easy to make.

I feel the need to spread the recipe, which I adapted from smitten kitchen (whose photos are a gazillion times better looking than mine "orz)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup minus a bit firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk (I didn't have any, so I just used bit less than 1 cup milk and juice of half a lime)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder (SK has this adjustment for natural cocoa, I forgot and just went with this amount of leavening below and didn't have a problem with it)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325F and grease a loaf pan.
Cream butter with the sugars in a large mixing bowl, I did mine by hand, hopefully you won't have to.
Add the egg, mix, add the buttermilk and vanilla. Beat the mixture reeeeeally well, you can afford to overmix right up to this point.
Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder/soda), mix ONLY until blended. Any further will make the cake too dense.
Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for an hour. Start checking the cake for doneness at around the 50 minute mark. It's good once the tester comes out clean. Don't over bake, dry cakes = baaaad cakes.
Cool, dust with powdered sugar (optional) & enjoy :]

Below is the incredibly hard pound cake that I baked a week ago. I remember making a post about it, but can't find it. Did I talk about this?

It's a biscottcake! (biscotti + cake). Despite it being like a log to saw through, it was gooood. Can't find the recipe though, sadd ;_;

Lastly and totally unrelated, I got the Revlon Illuminance Creme EyeShadow Quad in not Just Nudes. Likey very much, it's pigmented and lasts long (through the chocolate cake baking session on my hands). Swatches: flash (my veins look scary...), without flash.

No comments: