12 May 2008

1000th summer

thank god for wireless communications.
seriously.

...
...
...

A phone call woke me up this morning, at around 6:30ish. Since my mom was already up, I let her pick it up and listened to the conversation. Turned out it was my dad, who delivered some shocking news.

There's been an earthquake (7.8 magnitude, aka HUGE) around 90kms NW of where my hometown, ChengDu, is. (I would provide a map, however google failed to find any quality ones)


Thank god that neither he nor my grandpa is hurt. I swear I can imagine the police calling and saying that they're in the hospital...or somewhere else which I'd rather not think...

The earthquake was one of the biggest in China's history, it could been felt in Beijing and Shanghai, which is like...half way across the country. He said that the quake made our TV fall and the water in the toilet to spill out. Heard that there's over 8000 deaths so far, only 20 in where I lived. phewww. In the small town between where the quake started and my hometown, a school building collapsed and buried hundreds underneath @_@ Compared to those people, a TV's a really small price to pay. Also is another town that's in midway, a chemical factory exploded and spilled toxic chemicals all over the town. To reduce the risks of a gas explosion n stuff, the government cut off all gas, electricity AND water, he said that some people even pitched tents to sleep outside in...

I'm pretty darn glad that cellphone signals can't be cut off that easily.

No comments: