02 April 2018

soak

I'm so happy with this lemon curd, it's absolutely delicious with some clotted cream sandwiched between rich tea cookies:


I'll probably make an icebox cake version of this to bring to a potluck.

The lemon curd is very easy to make...if you have a citrus juicer of some kind. It's no fun squeezing lemons by hand, the yield is quite pitiful especially since I had little lemons. I was also cautious and made it over a double boiler, which took about 15min of constant stirring before thickening enough, compared to the recipe guideline of 5-10min. However, the end result is so worth it. Seriously how did it take over 20 years of my life to taste lemon curd?

I'm glad that I found this (and a couple of others) whole egg recipe. I did add the higher end of the recommended amount of butter to make up for the richness missing from additional yolks. Too bad custards don't seem to work with whole eggs, although I did discover that Bird's custard powder is just glorified corn starch... but I'll probably stick to panna cotta as my go-to summer dessert to take advantage of the good dairy here.

No comments: