08 March 2018

passata

I've avoided making any sort of "pan cooked egg in tomato sauce"...or rather it's most famous version shakshuka for the longest time because the first couple recipes of it that I came across all prominently feature pepper and I thought I wasn't a fan of pepper.

Then I made these kerala style egg curry, so good omg.


Even better with a giant dollop of yogurt mixed in with the heavily spiced tomato sauce and rice. This recipe also wastes no time, it comes together so perfectly:

  • The slow heat from turning on the hob gently toasts the spices (oh yeah I learned how much easier it is to grind toasted spices in a mortar and pestle). 
  • Chop onions while spices toast, both tasks finish at about the same time
  • Sweat onions while chopping the remaining ingredients, it takes quite a while for me to finely mince ginger and garlic
  • Add in ginger and garlic and grind up the spices while those cook
  • Add in spices and tomato puree and cook. Not much left to do...drink some water and wash some dishes. 
  • Add in eggs and cover to steam. Microwave rice in the meanwhile.
  • Assemble & eat :D
Will try with pepper next.

...

This song and this manga is a good pairing.

No comments: