11 February 2018

all


I've found the perfect pasta combination from The Art of the Larder, paraphrased from its description: salty ham and cheese, bitter radicchio, sweet onion and creamy sauce. It's so good that I accidentally cooked two portions worth and ate it all. Gonna regret it later, but very much enjoying it right now.

A couple changes I made / would make for the next iteration:

  • Use a thinner pasta, probably linguine 
  • Up the other ingredients to pasta ratio: at least a full radicchio per 2 portions (photo shows half) 
  • Used creme fraiche instead, increased amount to 50ml per 2 portion (recipe states 75ml per 4 portions). This is going to be my cheat for cream sauces from now on, just dollop it in with the pasta
  • Not to slice the onion too thinly, I overdid it this time and instead of nice soft onions I had some dried up charred pieces. 
...

Made sardine in vinegar after finding sardines in Sainsbury with help of the people behind the seafood/meat counter. I've rarely interacted with those staff since most of what I buy comes pre-packaged. 


Cleaning these buggers gave me a big shallow cut on my palm and a deep gorge on my fingertips "orz That makes 4 scars in the process of healing on my left hand, I'm great at taking care of myself smh. I naively thought the sardines were deboned and fully descaled, it was definitely not the case so I mistakenly was rubbing my hand along the fish under the tap, which is the perfect opportunity for the rows of bones sticking out along the belly cut to stab my hand. On second thought, for myself whose very picky with fish (prefer to pick out bones on plate and dislike fish skin), there is very little meat for me to consume on each sardine. Too bad they taste yummy. Next time I'll try with mackerel instead.

served with crisps

End result turned out bit too vinegar-y, should've cut the vinegar with some wine. The extra onion and vinegar would make a good pasta dressing.

No comments: