13 January 2018

truckle

This is the...second? third? recipe invention by yours truly: pasta e 酸菜


To be honest it's not super creative, simply a case of ingredient substitution. It mashes together pasta al olio and pasta e pepe, but switching sichuan pepper for black pepper and adding in sour veggies as a salty / sour element. Add in a generous amount of cheese at the end and it has all the flavour components of sat, acid, fat and heat.

Previously I've had trouble emulsifying the sauce, which I wrongly attributed to not enough oil. Turns out it's actually the opposite, which I found out by accidentally splashing in too much pasta water. I also accidentally discovered today that starting eggs in kettle boiled water in a cold pot produces a more similar texture between the whites and eggs. My old method was to boil water in pot, add eggs once a rolling boil is reached and cook for 6 minutes (Siri can attest that this is the most frequent command that I issue), while letting it cool naturally (ie. not running under cold water). But now I've revised it to pour kettle boiled water over egg in pot, then turn on the heat and cooking for 7 minutes and letting it cool naturally (the photo above shows a 6 min cook time, which left some of the white still runny although the yolk is perfect). However, the 2 eggs that I cooked with the new method are super difficult to peel. Not sure if unlucky or it's a flaw.
Later edit: tried again with 2 more eggs. One was easy to peel and one was moderate. Seems to be just luck.

...

In other (food) news, a new wheel of Snowdonia cheese: red storm


It's just as yummy as the Black Bomber...but they also taste the same to me. Guess it'll be a while until I develop a more sophisticated palate.

No comments: